I forgot to post about one of the most amazing events of Mother's Day. You might call it a Mother's Day miracle, much like the touted "Christmas Miracles" in cheesy movies, but better.
First, some background information.
Dorothy is 16 and 1/2 months old. Kids aren't supposed to go to nursery until they are 18 months old.
Dorothy likes to run around, get into things, and make loud noises-- all of which are not conducive to sacrament meeting, Sunday school, and Elder's Quorum. Translation: Mom and Dad actually spend very little time IN church, even though we are technically AT church. We often take turns, but lessons and talks become incomplete and fragmented. We were seriously at the point of campaigning for 2 hour church, or heck, even 1 hour church, because Sundays felt SO LONG.
Then came the Mother's Day miracle.
I was walking in the hall with Dorothy when one of the nursery workers happened to peek out and spied us. She asked me how old Dorothy was, I told her. She thought for a bit. Would I like to let Dorothy try out nursery, even though she was young? (Did she really have to ask?)
"YES!" I exclaimed. Dorothy took to it right away. I kissed her goodbye and she played happily with the other kids. It didn't even phase her when I left.
It surprised me, I found myself a little bored in class. I felt like my hands should be doing something. That aside, that was the first time that I heard a complete gospel doctrine lesson in my entire experience of parenting. And it was pretty good to hear the whole thing from start to finish. We made the first comments we had made in months, because we were both around long enough to get a feel for the lesson and really listen to the questions.
When I went to pick Dorothy up, she looked up from her dolls and said "Mommy!" and gave me a hug, then immediately went back to her toys. It was a little bit hard to convince her to leave nursery, because she wanted to keep playing with the baby dolls. Eventually with much discussion of the nummies and milky bottles waiting at home, she finally agreed that it would be okay to leave the baby dolls after all.
A Mother's Day miracle- the nursery workers accepted her early, and she liked it. Happy Mother's day to all! And to all a good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment