Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Let's go on holiday to Bath, dah-ling. Also known as Part 3.

We went to Bath for a quick daylong holiday. That must be said with your best Jane Austen lingo. 

Every store was still decked out with congratulations and stuff for you to buy commemorating the birth of Prince George.
 I loved that tree.

The Roman Baths.

 They had built these amazing underground water systems, it was really cool to see.




We went to the Jane Austen Center. My favorite part-- they had letters from different actors that had played parts in various Jane Austen films. That Emma Thompson is hilarious.
Costumes!
 The Crescent!


 A cool bridge!
 Bath Cathedral! We went in and heard a beautiful choir performance.
 At this point, Dallin and I split-- I wanted to go to the fashion museum. He did not. So he wandered the streets. The fashion museum was fascinating-- they had a dress from the 1600s! It was less modern fashion, more historical, which is why I wanted to see it so badly. The amount of work and detail that they put into the clothes completely blew my mind-- especially considering they did everything by hand. The embroidery and beading especially.

We met back up and got some take out dinner, then went exploring in the hills. We found a (very very steep) trail to the top of a hill overlooking the city. Trail is probably misleading, it was more stairs than trail.

But look at this view. We ate our dinner looking at this.
 These are the feet that got us there.





At one point, we wandered off the trail and into the woods a bit. Pretty trees!

And an old rock wall with this on it.
Bath was my favorite place we visited in the UK. The buildings, streets, and museums were all just gorgeous and oozed that small village charm. Cobblestone streets, window boxes with flowers, stone buildings, that's the kind of thing I love. I could have just walked around the city and been thrilled.

5 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I am dripping with jealousy.

Also, you guys look more and more rested and relaxed with every day. I wonder why? :)

Crismon and Vivienne Lewis said...

We're loving these pictures of your trip. Super! Dallin looked dashing as Mr. Darcy.

Meredith Williams said...

I love reading and seeing pictures of your trip----i'm living vicariously through you! I really want to go so bad!!
ps. you two lovebirds look so cute!!

Alice-Anne said...

You make me want to go to Bath! So fun! Good for you for seeing that fashion museum. Don't you love being able to go into museum and notice things, instead of just chasing kids. ;)

Aunt Viv said...

Breath taking beautiful!