Monday, September 9, 2013

Europe part 2- The Tower of London

The morning after our Cambridge adventure, we took a train back to London. Side note- our train was delayed by a few hours because lightning had hit an electrical box along the tracks. The station was nutsos. 
We got off the train and went straight to the Tower of London with our overnight bags in tow. I learned a lot this trip, for example, I thought that the Tower of London was an actual tower. It is not, it's more like a sprawling fortress that was added on to and remodeled many times by many different kings.

This was the must take picture of the whole trip- British soldiers. Wanna know why? Dorothy is obsessed with the American Girl Caroline and her books. Caroline lives in 1812 and the books follow the war with the British. Dorothy is now convinced that "The British" are the axis of all evil, especially British soldiers. I think she feared for my life when I told her that I would indeed be in the presence of British soldiers on this trip.  Look how close we got! And we lived to tell the tale!

Me, listening to an audio guide. There was a lot of this on our trip. And Dallin held the camera for most of the trip too, hence the me pictures.
The Tower and the tour were FASCINATING. Like really really amazing. It was cool seeing all the different styles of architecture all mashed together in one site. 




Carvings made by prisoners.

Lots of armor.

I don't know if you can get an idea of the scale from this picture, but this set of armor would have been much too small for my two year olds.

Facial hair immortalized.

This is also where the crown jewels are housed, but no pictures allowed. We went back to bless-ed Anna's flat for the night and rested our tired feet. 

No comments: