Sunday, September 8, 2013

Europe Part 1-- Cambridge

Dude, I is blogging about our trip. Finally.

I flew in to London on July 21 and stayed at our wonderful (awesome, amazing, kind, lovely...) friend Anna's flat for the night. First thing in the morning, we headed to the train station to go to Cambridge. 

And here it is. Cambridge, the town, has a collection of small colleges, there is no one big "Cambridge" University. I learned this. Each of the colleges is gorgeous, and you can tour them. 

King's College.

Me looking at a college.

Gondolas on the river.

Eating lunch in a alley. I was freaking out, because when I thought about doing things in Europe, this is what I imagined. We were in this tight alleyway with beautiful stone buildings on either side, window boxes and flowers and bikes with baskets parked all over. And eating awesome food.

Dallin.

Our feet.

After wandering around the town for a bit, we decided to head to a famous orchard where you can have tea and scones outside under the peach trees (sigh!). You can get there by hiking along a river. On the way, we found this cool tree and climbed it. Naturally, you can't take pictures while climbing a tree.

Still on the path to the orchard, we found this other cool tree that went out over the river. We ended up sitting there with our feet in the water and talking for about two hours. We never made it to the orchard. This was way better. We'd been apart for three weeks, it was so nice to really talk again.

We grabbed some dinner and caught a bus to a manor house in the countryside where we'd rented a room for the night. It had topiaries and climbing ivy and was right by a meadow with sheep. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
How awesome is this?
Side note-- the night we stayed here was the night that Prince George was born. Our hosts watched the news all evening and into the night with updates like "Katherine is still in the hospital and still in labor." Everyone was so excited.


3 comments:

Crismon and Vivienne Lewis said...

I'm the first to catch these great pictures of your trip! They are terrific! Janelle, you look like a movie star visiting the sites of Europe. It sounded like a dream trip. I'm so glad you were able to join Dallin. A well deserved break.

Hope there are more pictures to come.

Devin said...

Naomi and I spent a summer at King's College in Cambridge. Best. Summer. Ever. Love your pictures. Miss you and miss Cambridge.

Alice-Anne said...

I didn't know Cambridge wasn't one big university either! Thanks for the fact for the day! How cool to be there during such a historic moment as Prince George's birth! And i love your glasses :)