Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Dallin!!


Dallin's birthday was yesterday, he's 26. Whoa. So so so old! : ) Probably not so old for somebody who's about to be a father of 3, so we'll give him a break. He is Mr. Wonderful, such a fantastic husband and Dad. I thank my lucky stars that I married him.

I decided to throw him a surprise party. I have ZERO experience doing that, so it definitely had a few glitches, but I think that it still worked out great. We had the party at our community center at 6:00, so friends would have time to put kids to bed early. It was super laid back. We had a bunch of snacks, and a barbecue going to make s'mores over. A HUGE thanks to friends who basically set up everything for me. I have such nice friends. The one main glitch was that Dallin and I miscommunicated a bit, so he didn't get there until about 7. Oops. Here's what happened.

What I thought I emphasized: Dallin, be home at 6. Well, maybe a little bit after 6 would be okay (thinking that would give people time to get there), but be home really close to 6, I'm planning something.

What Dallin thought I emphasized: Be home after 6.

He assumed that I had gotten a sitter and that I'd be taking him out to dinner. So being the dutiful husband he is, he called home just after 6, and when I didn't answer, he assumed I was still getting Dorothy to the sitter, meaning he still had time to work on a project. Thankfully he didn't work on it for too long, and made it to the party. I was a wee bit stressed at first when he didn't come, but then I just relaxed. Worst case scenario, we'd have a fun party.
He did make it in time to hang out with everybody for at least a little while, I think friends had fun (and probably had fun putting their kids to bed later that night after s'mores and the subsequent sugar high, you can thank me later), and Dallin felt loved. Mission accomplished. It makes for a great story, eh?

Happy Birthday Dallin!

3 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I thought it was a rockin' party! Happy Birthday Dallin!

Alice-Anne said...

what a sweet wife you are...glad that communication glitch wasn't worse!

Meredith Williams said...

It seems like every surprise party has to have some glitches. Glad it ended up working out! Sounds like tons of fuN!