Monday, August 3, 2009

Ode to the Burley Bike Trailer

We recently inherited a late-80's model Burley bike trailer that I rode in as a tiny tyke. We are SO excited because this means we can go on bike rides whenever we want to, and also because this trailer has a great story behind it.

When my parents were recently separated and my Dad was just starting out in his own place, we needed to be creative whenever we went to visit him. There wasn't a whole lot to do because we didn't have any toys there, and he had only two movies: "Matilda" and "Oliver and Company". Things were so sparse I remember trying to do my hair in the mornings, and for lack of a hairbrush, I used a plastic fork to comb through it. I don't say this as a sob story, I'm telling this because it is a fun memory of how creative we were and it sets up the tale of the Burely bike trailer.

After a while, Matilda and Oliver got a little old, so we decided to go for a family bike ride. One problem, we didn't have bikes for everyone. So we got creative. My dad strapped little brother Clark, then 2 years old, in a baby seat attached directly to his bike. He hooked up the Burley and strapped in little sisters Elise, 4 yrs., and Margo, 6 yrs. Angie (9 yrs.) and I (11 yrs.) did have rollerblades. But we were young and couldn't keep up with a bike. So we put on our rollerblades and held on to the back of the bike trailer.

My dad pulled all 5 of us. This became a "Saturday with Dad" tradition. We would go off to the park, rent movies, go out to ice cream. Heck, I even remember going to the grocery store a couple of times. Everywhere we went, people snapped pictures and applauded. My dad was in incredible shape by the end of this. Those bike rides are among my fondest memories from that era of my life.

Now Dorothy enjoys it too! She gets so excited when we hook it up, because it usually means we are going off on some fabulous adventures, like going to Jay-Dawgs, the park, a long trail ride or the duck pond. I get tired pulling just her. I can assure you, I don't plan on pulling 5 children.

The Burley lives on!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Meredith Williams said...

That's hilarious! And I might add that is one VERY cute pic of Dorothy!

Anonymous said...

That is such a fun memory. Do you have any pictures of all 6 of you using the bike trailer?

My Life said...

Love the story!
My parents have had that same exact trailer since we were little! I remember going on rides in it and it's so fun that my kids can enjoy it too!
I love the pic of Dorothy watching Gpa put it away. So cute!

Alice-Anne said...

what a great story. glad you got a bike trailer...they ARE great!