Dorothy turned 1 year old on December 18! It was an exciting day for Mom because Dot got new toys to keep her entertained, for Dad because Mom made the really yummy chocolate cake we only make for birthdays because it's so labor intensive (but SO good! I've been spoiled and forever changed, I'll never go back to box cake again) and for Dorothy both because she got new toys, and she got to eat as much cake she wanted for her birthday- an old Otteson family tradition. And boy, did she eat cake. She was very cautious at first. My sister Angie and her fiancee Ryan were over, as well as Dallin's sister Meredith and her husband Bryan for birthday cake. I think it scared her at first to have so many people watch her. So, she daintily dipped her finger in the frosting and licked it.
"Hmm, definitely not spinach, worth another dip."
Round two- "Hmmm, this is really good and tastes nothing like vegetables."
Then reality kicked in.
"This is something extraordinarily tasty, and there is a whole mountain of it on my high chair tray!"
She went to town, eating almost an entire VERY large slice. She was one happy girl. That night.
But not 12 hours later. A LOT of cake in the digestive system of a very little girl not used to that much sugar does wonders. Her poos were so runny and frequent that I ditched our usual cloth diaper for the day and used our stash of disposable diapers. Wimpy, I know, but so much easier. Poor kid. I guess turning one makes you wiser than you were before!!!
Dorothy's official one year old portrait. The dress she's weraing is really special- my Mom wore it as a little girl, and I wore it too. I actually wore it for my one year old pictures as well. The studio-like sheet in the background, however, is not so unique. It's just our bedsheet hanging from one of our dressers.
This picture needs very little explanation. Yummy.
Dorothy looking excited while everyone sings "Happy Birthday".
Dorothy opening her presents.
4 comments:
cute -cute - The cake experience was much like her mother's - who also daintily touched the cake blob on her high chair not wanting to get too messy - The apple did not fall too far from the tree.
And a bit of history - The dress I believe was given to me as a gift from my great Aunt Kathryn - one of my namesakes
Happy Birthday #1 Dorothy!! Miss ya girl!
I didn't know you use cloth diapers. What made you decide to go that route? I can't believe she's one already. They grow up so fast. I like her face as she's getting sung to. : ) And I didn't know your sister is engaged. Congratulations to her! Sounds like it was a good day for little Dorothy for her birthday.
Oh my goodness! Her "one-year-old" picture is WAY too cute!
-Nikki
Post a Comment