Friday, February 12, 2010

...and I wore my wedding dress.

Notre Dame has an annual married-student formal dance. They really went all out too. Instead of the usual bus that makes rounds from our married apartments to campus, they rented limos. LIMOS!!!! It was glamorous. I think about as glamorous as you can get in South Bend, Indiana. I am seriously lacking in the fancy formal department, so I wore my wedding dress. Keep in mind that it was not one of those poofy monstrosities. It was slimmer, and you probably wouldn't know it was a wedding dress if it wasn't white.

Aren't you all glad that I never pursued a career in modeling?


It took some serious work to get zipped, but Ta DA! We did it! Can you see the pure joy and excitement written across my face? Can you tell, huh? Huh?


Applying lipstick by the TV's reflection. Nice.


Dallin looked pretty snazzy, obviously. He intentionally didn't shave so that he was just a little bit scruffy. That's my favorite.


Here, we are very snobbishly drinking {sprite} in the limo. How classy of us.


Kisses to the camera on the dance floor.
We danced A LOT. Here's the thing. Dallin has no inhibitions when it comes to dancing. None. He's a dancing maniac. It's not that he's a really great dancer, but he loves doing it and he doesn't get embarrassed at all. Not even if he's the only one out there.
I, on the other hand, do have inhibitions. Lots of them. I had fun at dances with my roommates in college, but that's because the lights were all out and there were so many sweaty people that you couldn't tell who was who. More and more though, and I definitely have to credit this to Dallin, I just don't care and I have fun. This night, I truly didn't care and I went crazy too. I SWEAT. A lot. That's how crazy we were.
The funny thing is that we had SO much fun during the evening. but I think we created a bit of a name for ourselves. When I see other parents out and about, I keep getting comments like, "Janelle, I didn't see that coming!" or "Wow, you guys REALLY like to dance..." and people still haven't forgotten about it. It was so much fun, but I feel like I was drunk or something, and now I'm looking back and thinking, what did I do?!! We really were nearly the only ones on the dance floor sometimes. And it was well lit. But I didn't care right then if people were watching. I was just dancing with my crazy, silly, fun husband. And I know I lucked out. There are so many women that I talk to whose husbands won't dance with them. That's sad. I chose well, I guess. : )

Though I think next year, I'll wear something that lets me move my arms more. Maybe something like the dress on the left in the picture below.

picture via sayyestohoboken.com
Picture it with a side bun, red lipstick, and bright yellow heels. Fun, huh? Plus, if I had the top (and I bet I can find one like that on ebay for cheap), I could probably make that skirt with about $5 and 2 hours of work. I love tulle.

7 comments:

Meredith Williams said...

How fun!! You guys look great. I remember church dances with Dallin. I always thought "wow, he is crazy" and then I got caught doing the same thing. Thanks Dallin!

Rebe said...

I am so impressed you can still wear your dress! What a cutie skinny minny you are!

Aunt Viv said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun!!!

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, you totally wore your wedding dress! That's so awesome. I don't even have mine anymore.

Melissa said...

1) I LOVE that you wore your wedding dress.
2) I LOVE the mental image of you guys dancing your hearts out.
3) I so wish we could have been there to join in the fun!! (We were in Chicago and couldn't make it.)
4) I am totally going to be watching for your re-creation of that cute italian-esque ensemble. =D

Alice-Anne said...

congrats on still fitting in the wedding dress! :) Glad you guys had so much fun!!!

Alisha said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I don't think my wedding dress ever fit after I had my first child. (And you had it with you, too. Very cool. Mine spent a lot of years in my mother's basement.)

Love the scruff and the dance moves. You guys are awesome.

Limo's and sprite. What a night.

Who knew South Bend was up for that kind of craziness? You've left your mark, it sounds like. Now you have a reputation to uphold.